Chapter III: The Burning Ground is the Third Chapter in Bayonetta. In this chapter, Fortitudo ignites the town of Vigrid in a cataclysm of fire and lava, leaving Bayonetta to carefully navigate her way to the Coliseum above the town.
Vigrid Town Area
The chapter starts off with a cutscene. When it ends, you'll be in a small area with lots of lava and fire around. This will hurt you if you walk across it, unless you are replaying the chapter and equip Durga Fire on your feet. Run forward, and you'll be put into a fight against a few Affinities (Harmony on Hard/Infinite Climax). These angels are also on fire and can set you ablaze if you get too close. To beat these guys, you need to activate Witch Time by dodging an attack. Once in Witch Time the flames cannot harm you, so try to do as much damage as possible. Another way to hurt the enemies is by using ranged attacks such as Wicked Weaves, or shooting them with your firearms, although the former is more effective. After you kill the first one, you can pick up its weapon, if you do then the pole dancing attack is effective because it doesn't hurt you but it can cause them a great deal of damage in a wide radius.
On the right of where the angelic barrier was, there is a building with archways. Next to that building you can find a Treasure Chest (Arcade Bullet). On the opposite side of the building, there is an area with a broken car and a lava pool, where a Crow will be roasting on Normal difficulty.
Verse 2 (Alfheim)
(optional) Go up the stairs above two phone stations, and destroy the trash bin. This will make a portal spawn inside the building with archways. It leads to the fifth Alfheim level, which serves as Verse 2.
After the battle with the flaming Affinity, proceed through the tunnel and take a right. A small cutscene will show that lava is now chasing you. Out run the lava flow. Beloveds will constantly try to block your path, maneuver around them and keep going. At the end of the run, the lava will flow into a large gap in the streets, you will need to jump over the gap to reach a safe spot.
After you escape the lava walk down the stairs and into the plaza, where Fairness will be introduced. Be ready to dodge or jump away, because Fairness immediately launches a fireball at you. If you keep your distance it'll continually launch fireballs; dodge them and get up close to attack. When you are in close quarters, Fairness will either try to ram you or twist its body to hit you. Dodge these and keep attacking. Witch Time is the best way to beat the angel. Fairness will also use a sonic attack, if it hits you then you will be stunned for a few seconds; you can avoid this by jumping.
After Fairness has been defeated, the angelic barrier will fall and a Gold LP half will appear (you will need the other half in order to unlock the weapon). You can also find two Treasure Chests on opposite sides of the area, at the ends of small streets. When you are ready, run through the archway. You will end up in another small open area. The door on the left side will break and show lava down its path.
Verse 5 (Alfheim)
(optional) Head down the stairs on the right. On Hard difficulty, you will come across a Crow mowing the lawn at the bottom of the stairs. Jump up to the balcony to reach the portal to the sixth Alfheim level, which serves as Verse 5.
After the door breaks, you'll need to run up and activate the statues. Once active, use their power and go into Witch Time in order to bypass the spouts of fire from the cracks. Run down the street and a cutscene will trigger. After you lava surf, use Witch Walk to progress along the side of a building, and then fight a few Affinities (Ardors on Hard/Infinite Climax). After you dispose of the angels, you'll need to head right, there will be a part of the original street still intact; jump on it then jump and Witch Walk onto the other building. At the end of the building, there'll be another piece of street, jump onto that and get back onto the original building.
Once there, keep following the buildings. At some point, a piece will blow up and leave a large flaming gap. Double jump over that gap. Keep running along the building jumping over the gaps and avoiding the explosions. Once you reach the end of the building, lava will start flooding down the street. You'll need to cross another intact piece of street to get to the next building. Now Lava is coming from all sides, so you must run straight up the wall (the camera will be facing your front). The building will begin to collapse and a Quick Time Event occurs. Once you jump off the collapsing building, Verse 6 will end.
After you survive the collapsing building, you'll run straight into a large plaza. Some of Antonio's notes will be right in front of you after you see your score for Verse 6. Once you are near the fountain, two Fairnesses will appear. Defeat them to complete Verse 7.
Vigrid - Catacombs
Verse 8Treasure Chest (Broken Moon Pearl). Then go back the other way. As you run through the tunnel there will be pools of lava, from these pools flaming Affinities (Grace & Glory on Hard/Infinite Climax) will appear. Dodge their attacks and use Witch Time to kill them (or use their staff for the pole dancing attack). Defeat them to end Verse 8.
Keep running through the tunnel and avoiding the spouts of fire. You'll need some timing to safely cross the large pool of lava (as the two on the side spout fire, you'll need to quickly jump through the center; if you don't time it right the center will spout lava and hurt you).
Continue down the tunnel, and you will arrive in a large chamber called the Catacombs. Here you can visit the the Gates of Hell for supplies. You will also find some of Antonio's notes. Head right and follow the path past the large stone gate (which is guarded by a Crow on Hard difficulty), and towards the bridge. When you approach the bridge, two large rocks will destroy it. Head back towards the stone gate, and a group of angels (Braves on Hard/Infinite Climax) will appear. Defeat them to activate the stone gate and finish the Verse. Walk through the gate, and you will be teleported to Paradiso - Garden of Light.
Paradiso - Garden of Light
Verse 10 (Alfheim)
(optional) As soon as you exit the gate and enter Paradiso, drop down in the water on your right. Follow the submerged rocky path in front of you. It leads to a portal to the seventh Alfheim level, which serves as Verse 10.
When you exit the gate and enter Paradiso, drop down in the water directly on your left, then turn left and follow a submerged rocky path to find the other half of the Gold LP you received previously.
Get back to the large stone gate, and follow the main path in front of it, until you reach a pair of statues. Activate them and use Witch Time to cross water spouts to get up onto a platform. In front of you there will be a large carving and a lever. A Broken Witch Heart can also be found on the right side of this area, behind some rocks and trees. On Infinite Climax difficulty, head left and follow the path for some distance, to reassure a worried Crow. Once you activate the lever, the carving will break apart and you will be carrying a large hourglass. Head back to where you came from, and pass through the stone gate.
Vigrid - Catacombs
Verse 11 (Alfheim)
(optional) Run all the way back to the beginning of the Catacombs. Inside the tunnel lies the next portal, leading to the eight Alfheim level, which serves as Verse 11.
Now that the bridge has been repaired, you can cross it. As you begin to cross the bridge, a group of angels will fly out and attack you (Harmony on Hard/Infinite Climax).
After dealing with the angels, keep running across the bridge. Once you get onto the second bridge it'll start to collapse, so be prepared to jump. At the end of the bridge, you'll have a Quick Time Event and jump off the falling piece of bridge onto a small rocky path near the lava. Run across the path but be careful, as lava will spout out of the large pool and try to hit you as you run. There will be a glow on the rocks before it strikes, as an advanced warning. At the end of the path, the rocks will begin to rise. Climb up the rocks while avoiding the lava. Once at the top, jump across the gap and onto the ledge. There will be a Treasure Chest (Broken Witch Heart) on the left side.
After landing, follow the path to the right and into the tunnel. You will need to Witch Walk up the tunnel, there are several veins of lava and rocks falling from the top. Avoid the lava and the falling rocks.
Path to the Coliseum
Verse 13 Cont.Once you get out of the tunnel, you'll be in a small area. Move forward and turn left to find a Treasure Chest (Broken Witch Heart). Then go the other way and you'll come to a large open area (rocky/mountainous background). Turn left and follow the stairs upwards until the Coliseum comes into view. You will find some of Antonio's notes, as well as a pious Crow on Normal (next to the second to last stone pillars), and Infinite Climax (left corner of the first piece of broken stonework) difficulty. Run into the Coliseum to end the Chapter.
Antonio's Notes Locations:
- Verse 7: Right in front of you after see your score for Verse 6. (About The Umbra Witches - II)
- Verse 9: Right after the cutscene to show you where you are at (Vigrid - Catacombs), you will need to head right. The notes are on the path. (Notes On The Topic Of Magic - III)
- Verse 13: After the tunnel area and once you're outside (you'll have a view of ruins and a large mountainous landscape), the book will be on the stairs. (The Old Coliseum)
Arcade Bullet Locations:
- Verse 2: Found in the chest of Verse 2, it's in the chest located to the right of where the angelic barrier was.
- Replaces any Pearl or Heart pieces previously discovered.
- Verse 2: Immediately after the fight with the flaming Affinities, before you go through where the angelic barrier was, turn right and head that way. Straight ahead should be the chest.
- Verse 5: Immediately after defeating Fairness, turn left and go down the small street. In the far back the chest will be there, hop over the lava to reach it. (Directly opposite of the chest mentioned below).
- Verse 5: Immediately after defeating Fairness, turn right and go down the small street. In the far back the chest will be there, hop over the lava to reach it. (Directly opposite of the chest mentioned above.)
- Verse 8: Immediately after you enter the cave, run backwards. Follow the path a short way to find the chest.
- Verse 13: After jumping up the rocks and onto the ledge head left. Follow the path to find the Chest.
- Verse 13: After avoiding the lava and falling rocks when you emerge from the tunnel (you'll be facing the camera), head that way. Then take a left to the Chest.
Broken Moon Pearl Locations:
- Verse 2: Reward for completing the Verse 2 Alfheim level.
- Verse 8: Immediately after you start Verse 8 face the camera and run in that direction, follow the path to find a chest; break it open to get the Pearl.
- Verse 10: Reward for completing the Verse 10 Alfheim level.
Broken Witch Heart Locations:
- Verse 5: Reward for completing the Verse 5 Alfheim level.
- Verse 11: After you activate the statues and have jumped onto the platform, turn right and head towards the rocks and trees. The Heart is found behind a stone structure.
- Verse 13: After jumping up the rocks and onto the ledge, head left. Follow the path to find a chest, break it open to get the Heart.
- Verse 13: After avoiding the lava and falling rocks when you emerge from the tunnel (you'll be facing the camera), head that way. Then take a left to find a chest, break it open to get the Heart.
Golden LP Locations:
- Verse 4: Rewarded after defeating Fairness. (Fantaisie-Impromptu part I).
- Verse 10: When you enter Paradiso - Garden of Light, jump down to the left and head south following the path. The LP will be sitting on a large rock. (Fantaisie-Impromptu part II).
- With both halves you'll get Kulshedra.
Umbran Tears of Blood Locations:
- Verse 2: Just after you defeat the flaming Affinities, there will be an area that has lava and a destroyed car. Double jump over the lava and land onto the small safe area. The crow is relatively close to the pool of lava.
- Verse 13: As you climb the stairs to the Coliseum, the crow will be on the stairs next to the second to last stone pillars.
- Verse 5-6: In the area where the doors break and you see lava, you will need to move forward and turn right. Head down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs in the grass directly in front of you is the crow.
- Verse 9: The crow is located above the gate for the portal to Paradiso.
Non-Stop Infinite Climax
- Verse 11: In the area that has the large stone statue and lever head left, you must follow this path for some distance. The Crow wil be on the path.
- Verse 13: Once you are out of the catacombs and on the stairs towards the Coliseum, the crow is located on the left corner of the first piece of broken stonework.
- Verse 2: Located immediately after the battle with the flaming Affinities. Head up the stairs above two phone stations, destroy the trash bin. The portal then will spawn, located to the right of where the angelic border was, there is a building that is supported by pillars. It's the same building where you previously could find a Broken Witch Heart and Notes On The Topic Of Magic - I. (Reward: Broken Moon Pearl)
- Verse 5: After the death of Fairness, you will reach a small open area with more lava (the door on the left side will explode and expose more fire), head right and down the stairs. Once you reach the area at the bottom of the stairs, turn right and double jump/wall climb your way to the building's second floor. There is the portal. (Reward: Broken Witch Heart)
- Verse 10: As soon as you enter Paradiso, head right and follow the path. At the end of the path is the portal. (Reward: Broken Moon Pearl)
- Verse 11: After you use the hourglass to repair the bridge run all the way back to the beginning of the Catacombs, inside the tunnel resides the next portal. (Reward: Broken Witch Heart)
Video (all items can be found on any difficulty, only exception is the Umbran Tears of Blood)
|Bayonetta (Gallery) • Jeanne (Gallery) • Zero • Enzo • Rodin (Gallery) • Luka • Cereza (Gallery) • Antonio Redgrave • Umbran Elder • Rosa • Father Balder (Gallery) • Jubileus the Creator • Eva|
|Masked Lumen (Gallery) • Loki • Loptr • Aesir|
|Handguns • Scarborough Fair • Onyx Roses • Shuraba • Kulshedra • Durga • Odette • Lt. Col. Kilgore • Sai Fung • Bazillions • Pillow Talk • Rodin • All 4 One|
|Love Is Blue • Rakshasa • Alruna • Kafka • Chernobog • Undine • Takemikazuchi • Salamandra • Master Sword • Arwing Guns • Chain Chomp • Umbran Armor • Unforgiven • Holy Glaive|
|Affinity • Dear and Decorations • Enchant • Applaud • Ardor • Irenic • Beloved • Kinship • Fairness • Grace and Glory • Fearless • Harmony • Inspired • Braves • Gracious and Glorious • Joy|
|Acceptance • Belief • Accolade • Valiance • Cachet & Compassion • Urbane • Enrapture • Fidelity • Gravitas • Allegiance • Hideous • Hatred • Fury • Pain • Pride • Greed • Malicious • Resentment • Sloth|
|Contracted Demons • Gomorrah • Malphas • Hekatoncheir • Scolopendra • Phantasmaraneae • Little Devils • Madama Butterfly • Madama Styx • Queen Sheba|
|Labolas • Mictlantecuhtli • Baal • Hydra • Diomedes • Carnage • Madama Khepri • Omne • Fortitudo • Temperantia|
|Golem • Fortitudo • Temperantia • Iustitia • Sapientia • Father Balder • Jeanne • Jubileus the Creator •|
|Gomorrah • Valiance • Glamor • Masked Lumen • Valor • Insidious • Prophet • Alraune • Balder • Loptr • Aesir • Rodin, The Infinite One|